Are you an urban designer with a passion for creating beautiful, liveable places? AFL is offering an excellent opportunity to join our team.
Our Masterplanning & Urban Design team is our fastest growing service with major and renowned national projects. This is a chance to make a real impact on a large variety of schemes, providing insight across residential, sports, leisure, commercial and healthcare sectors, testing your skills and enhancing your reputation.
We’re looking for someone for someone either based around our Manchester head office or our Birmingham office.
As an urban designer, you will need to:
- Survey land and buildings, analyse their current use and make recommendations for their future development
- Apply vision to designing a variety of built spaces, either creating brand new designs or revising and improving existing ones – these could range from small individual streets, parks and squares to major towns, housing areas and cities
- Create detailed drawings using your artistic or graphic skills, converting your vision into a technical drawing, using specific programmes and software such as computer-aided design (CAD)
- Develop excellent relationships with people - both colleagues and wider groups such as planners, architects, politicians and local communities
- Understand the needs of people who will be using the space you design; through research and analysis you will consider political, environmental, social, economic, spatial, psychological and physical factors
- Use your communication skills, empathy and knowledge to negotiate with and influence people to make better informed decisions about successfully planned spaces
- Educate communities involved with the planning of their local region or neighbourhood
- Work with a wider planning team to ensure policies and guidance are followed.
Why Choose Us?
- We are committed to training and development and as such this role is suitable for a candidate who is seeking long-term career opportunities
- AFL is a bespoke practice with massive ambitions – you will make a real difference to the direction of our service and an impact on major national and international projects
- Mixed studio/home working options
- Access to our 24/7 Employee Assistance Programme
- Excellent salary offered in line with the level of experience
- Full time position, 36 hours p/w
We are an Equal Opportunities Employer and we welcome applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.